Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Suspend3?

Some people seem to have the strange idea that suspend-to-disk is just for laptops. Well, maybe that will change soon. In the meantime, the rest of us can use it on our desktops with gay abandon.

Speaking of which (suspending), finally saw suspend to ram working on my laptop yesterday, which in turn meant that I finally got to see what that code I wrote long ago (PowerdownMethod 3) looks like in action. I like!

I think it had something to do with dumping fglrx and discovering that PowerNow! is the cause of my white-screens-of-death. Having gotten rid of those two for the moment, I suddenly like my laptop a whole lot more. It will be nice to get PowerNow working properly (an AMD guy is aware of the issue and will look at it when he gets around to it), and it would be nice to be able to keep using Beryl (it's not just eye-candy!). At the end of the day, though, I want the computer to work and work reliably, and I want it to suspend to disk reliably.

So why did I put Suspend3 in the title? Yeah, suppose I'd better answer that question. I'm thinking about working towards a 3.0 release. But before I get there, Suspend2 might gain an important new feature; one that might even help break the 'only for laptops' mindset. I've emailed the cluster list on Redhat, asking if they're interested in being able to suspend clusters to disk. Think of a cluster working on some complex problem when the power goes out. You have UPSes, but they only last so long. You could fire up the generator (and probably will at the moment), but fuel can be expensive. Wouldn't it be great if the whole cluster could suspend-to-disk on UPS power, then resume when the power comes back on, all without you having to modify your applications at all for the purpose? Well, that might be in Suspend3. Or I might do it afterwards.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first used suspend2 on my desktop. I've been using hibernate under Windows for years and having it work under Linux was the final barrier to switching to Linux as my primary desktop OS.

I also converted my laptop (Windows was taking 15 minutes to login for some reason I didn't want to waste time resolving). I'd always had a problem before with the sleep (suspend to RAM) coming back with a black screen and having to power cycle the machine. It was always a pain since Windows power management is configured all over the place (thanks to Toshiba). The hibernate scripts let me experiment with using vbetool and now under Linux I can come back from sleep and get a useful screen.

Having almost "instant-on" is really important for people like me who prefer to turn machines off when not using them.

2:39 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home